Getting an "Earful"
It's definitely getting warm, and Memorial Day will be upon us this weekend-signaling the beginning of summer. Summer corn, fresh herbs and salads are the meal du jour and this Summer Corn, Cous Cous Combo is THE dish to bring to that barbecue. Let's get cooking.
Prep Time-30 minutes
Total Time- 1 hour
1/3 cup plus 3 TBSP olive oil, divided
3 Red onions-small-medium in size ( I used 2 large-that's all I had -1 Vidalia and 1 Red) thinly sliced
1 TBSP. Kosher salt
2 cups Israeli Couscous
2 ½ cups fresh corn kernels (approx. 4 ears)
1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
½ cup chopped fresh chives
½ cup packed fresh dill, chopped
3 TBSP. white wine vinegar
½ tsp. black pepper
1. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a ½ tsp. of kosher salt to sliced onions in a bowl and coat them thoroughly.
2. Spread onions on a parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Roast onions at 425 degrees for 30 minutes until onions are soft and nicely browned.
(You can also cook the onions over medium heat for about 12-15 minutes instead-but I found the roasting method easier). Let onions cool.
4. While the onions roast, heat 1 TBSP of oil in a large pot over medium high.
5. Add couscous and cook stirring occasionally until golden and slightly toasty looking. Approx. 3-4 minutes.
6. Add 2 cups water and ½ tsp. salt.
7. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered until water is absorbed-5-7 minutes. Remove from stove, fluff with a fork and let cool 15 minutes.
8. Remove kernels from the corn, by laying corn on its side slice the kernels with a sharp knife, then roll the corn onto its flat side and slice kernels-continue this method until all kernels have been cut off cob.
9. Toss onion, couscous and corn in a large bowl.
10. Just before serving, add basil, chives, dill, vinegar, pepper and remaining 1/3 cup oil and 2 tsp. salt and toss to combine.
Check out our YouTube channel on how to make this recipe.